Family

We all grow up with the weight of history on us. Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies. ~Shirley Abbott

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Figured out the Fergusons!


Ancestry.com Louisiana, Marriages, 1718-1925 [database on-line]. 



Something very spooky just happened. Long ago when I first started "genning" I'd found this marriage cert. that I thought was the marriage certificate of my great paternal grandparents Lucy Bell born 1853 and William Henry born about 1851 but it recorded them getting married in 1894 which would have been too late since my great grandmother Pheba was born in 1878. Anyway, it never made much sense but I got attached to the idea, and reasoned that because it was difficult days during Reconstruction, and possibly so much discrimination existed that it was necessary for them to wait until a better time to get hitched. The cost of a marriage certificate could also have been a factor. 

Well, I was working today on deleting a temporary speculative tree that I grew based on my new DNA findings.  Now that I know more I deleted the tree and re-vamped it. As I was entering my great grandmother's information and was just about to attach the marriage cert# I'd found so long ago, when oops! A strange thing happened, another of my DNA high matches who traces to Cyrus Ferguson born 1814 and Laura nee unknown, born 1834's, daughter Lucy Ferguson also born 1861 jumped up and attached herself to my great grandmother' Lucy's name instead. Although I have several matches to Bell, I have two high matches to Ferguson. 

Great grandmother Lucy whom I always thought was nee Bell born in 1853, was not born the same year that Lucy Ferguson whose birth year is recorded as 1861,was said to have been born! But, Ferguson, actually, makes more sense here! She connects my DNA matches!  Really! It's as if my great grandmother was directing my key strokes, as if she was correcting a decade long error that I had made. I have to wonder now was Lucy a Ferguson and a Bell? You see, Garland who is my second cousin and who traces to these same Fergusons whose family Lucy would be a member of, and myself have not been able to find our connection. He is my SECOND cousin! It should be simple! Duh...Thanks Grandma Lucy! 




I'm sure you were behind this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment