Family

We all grow up with the weight of history on us. Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies. ~Shirley Abbott

Monday, May 12, 2014

More of me...




Generations have past since my ancestors left the coast of Africa. The map above show the regions where AncestryDNA.com predicts they came from. In my previous blog, 100% Victori Bass I  wrote of how 23 and me predicts my admixture. In this blog,
I will show the way AncestryDNA does. AncestryDNA claims that I am of 86% African ancestry 29% of which derives from the Ivory Coast and Ghana. 



21% comes from Cameroon and Congo and 22% from Benin and Togo. Around, 1640 the Dutch, while trading commodities on the coast of Africa first began bringing thousands of my ancestors to Barbadoes and Brazil to work as slaves. Not soon after, the Portuguese followed, and Britain.



Even, before this my ancestors came to America on the ships of De Soto in 1538, when he decided to sell all his property and use the cash to purchase a trip to explore Florida. In his fleet of a thousand men De Soto had as many as fifty slaves. At least one of those slaves escaped and didn't make the return trip, but ran away and married a Native American woman. His name was Gomez. That may answer why my Native Amerian traces are so distant at 1% Native American and 1% South Asian according to AncestryDNA.com


I am of 12% European origin on AncestryDNA, not far from the 11.9% predicted on 23 and me.com My European ancestry is mostly West European, this prediction comes from a collection of 416 tested people, according to AncestryDNA. My Scandinavian origins (roaming groups of hunter-gatherers from Southern Europe such as the Goths from Southern Sweden) is predicted at 2% this from a comparison of 272 people. 1% from Italy and Greece and another 1% from Ireland and another 1% from Great Britain. My European ancestors came here to America in the early 1600's as indentured servants, colonist, and aristocrats. Usually, they owned slaves as chattel property and usually the offspring of these unions were conceived by force. However, prior to 1741, mixed race marriages were allowed.



No comments:

Post a Comment